Deputy Home Manager - Bradstow School
41 hours per week
All year round
Bradstow is a creative and unique residential school for children between the ages of 5 & 19. It is situated in 13 acres of parkland in Broadstairs, Kent. We seek to meet the needs of children and young people with autism and severe learning difficulties with associated behaviours that may be challenging using a Gentle Teach approach and engaging in reflective practice. We have achieved national recognition for our developments in Communication and Behaviour Management as well as having been awarded the Gold standard for the Investors in People accreditation.
- Acting as shift leader for a group of staff and undertake day to day supervision of their work.
- Ensuring implementation of a previously agreed activity programme for each young person.
- Ensuring individual young people’s care, medical, behaviour and communication plans are carried out by all team members.
- Ensuring the implementation of policies formulated by the management team of the school.
- In discussion with the Home Manager, making and implementing decisions regarding the appropriate care of students, deployment of staff etc, and informing the care management team as appropriate.
- Supporting the team of care workers and advising on good working practice.
- Intervening when required to diffuse difficult situations or assist care workers in a manner supportive to their role.
- Ensuring parents are informed of their child’s progress and any issues relating to their child.
- Undertaking a keyworker role for specific students.
The hours for this post may include split shifts, some starts from 7.30am, some finishes at 10.00pm, weekend work and sleeping-in duties.
For this post you will need to be willing to commit to achieving Level 3 Diploma in Residential Childcare within 2 years of beginning employment at the school (if not already achieved).
For all posts we look for candidates who are mature, warm, creative and open to learning with a patient and caring attitude to deal sensitively with vulnerable children.
We offer a generous salary and benefits including:
- Highly competitive Local Government Pension Scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Investors In People Gold Accredited employer
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Thorough induction process
- Strong health and well-being focus
- Free meals with our young people
- Generous annual leave
The selection process for this post will comprise of an interview, short literacy test and a presentation, the title of which successfully shortlisted applicants will be informed of prior to the interview. Candidates are advised to prepare for the presentation in advance. Interviews with external candidates may be carried out remotely using Skype / Microsoft Teams.
An information pack, including a Job Description and Person Specification can be downloaded below.
Completed application should be returned to the school either by email email@example.com or by post.
Closing date: 12 October 2020 (at 4pm)
Interviews: Mid-Late October 2020
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check thorough pre-employment checks.
Please note that we do not accept CVs.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Dumpton Park Drive
Kent, CT10 1BY
Tel: 01843 862 123
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils