Housing Reviews Officer
Housing Reviews Officer
Salary - Grade PO2 (£38,133 - £46,206)
Fixed Term Full time (12 Months)
Are you an experienced Reviews Officer looking for your next opportunity, then look no further.
The Housing Reviews Team carry out statutory reviews under s202 and s166a(9) of the Housing Act 1996 relating to the acceptance and ending of duties and suitability of accommodation relating to both temporary accommodation, final settled offers in relief and settled offers of accommodation under s193 as well as reviews relating to the housing register.
You will also assist with reviews where a previously accepted duty has been discharged under s193 of the Act and conduct reviews of decisions made in accordance with the provisions of each Council’s Allocation Scheme. You may also be called upon to assist with other complex challenges outside if the reviews process.
You will be an experienced and motivated candidate with a sound knowledge of the Housing Act 1996 as amended, in particular Parts VI and VII and you will have a detailed knowledge of the Homeless Reduction Act with a good understanding of how the new legislation has impacted our homelessness duties. You will have experience of making autonomous decisions under s184 and s202 of the Act and of decision governed by the provisions of an Allocation Scheme.
Working across Richmond and Wandsworth Councils as part of the Housing Reviews Team, you will be expected to work in both borough locations as required.
As part of your usual duties you will be expected to;
- Possess a detailed knowledge of parts VI and VII of the Housing Act 1996 as amended, the Homelessness Code of Guidance, as well as a working knowledge of relevant case law which you will apply when undertaking any statutory review.
- To develop and maintain a good standard of knowledge relating to each council’s policies and strategies and apply this knowledge in the context of a review.
- Possess excellent writing skills and be able to draft detailed, fully particularised robust decisions of a sufficient standard so as to withstand any further challenge and which address the relevant legislation and objective argument(s) in relation to that review.
- Liaise with each Council’s legal representatives and attend Court when required.
- Have contact with clients and their representatives by phone and in person and to be able to demonstrate a calm, professional disposition when communicating the Council’s position or obtaining information relevant to the review.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 25th February 2024
Shortlisting week commencing 26th February 2024
Interviews week commencing 11th March 2024. Please note that the selection process also includes a test.
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services.
We are pleased to be Disability Confident employer.
For an informal discussion please contact: Jo Fraser-Ellis – Housing Reviews Manager.
Tel: 0208 871 5285
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils