Mobile Cemetery Operative
- Are you looking for working arrangements that enhance your work-life balance?
- Are you seeking an opportunity where your personal development is encouraged?
- Do you have excellent communication skills with experience of dealing directly with the public?
If you answered yes, we would love to hear from you!
The purpose of the role:
Based in Richmond the primary essence of this role is to ensure all graves are prepared correctly, in compliance with Health and Safety Legislation, Burial Law (the Local Authorities Cemeteries Order 1977), and the Institute of Cemetery and Crematorium Management (ICCM) Code of Safe Working Practice in Cemeteries.
- Be welcomed into a service area, which delivers a range of services including parks, trees and allotments and your personal development will be encouraged.
- Have shared responsibility for the general ground maintenance operations across 6 cemetery sites. This includes but is not limited to, mowing, planting, pruning, weeding, hedge cutting, turfing and path maintenance to improve the general appearance of the cemeteries.
- Assist customers with their enquiries on site, many of whom may be recently bereaved, ensuring the information is accurate and given in a sympathetic manner.
- Be a visible presence to officers on site during funerals to oversee the burial to ensure no problems occur.
- As well as proven experience of using digging machines, and safely excavating graves by hand you must be qualified to the ICCM Code of Safe Working Practice in the provision of graves, with due regard to Health and Safety within the cemetery grounds.
- The service is public facing, hence excellent communication skills and experience of dealing directly with residents are required.
- You will have a current, full clean UK driving licence.
In return, we can offer you working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance, including a generous holiday allowance of 31 days plus bank holidays.
In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, new technology scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at many leisure activities, restaurants, shops, and other establishments. A wide range of developmental opportunities are also offered.
Please submit your CV together with a Supporting Statement, detailing why you are applying for the post and how you meet each of the criteria set out in the Person Specification.
If you would like an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Matt Almond Parks Operation Manager Matt.Almond@richmondandwandsworth.gov.uk or Telephone 02084875276.
Richmond and Wandsworth are currently reviewing our pay, reward and benefits framework, in partnership with Trade Union colleagues. We are developing different options that make sure we have a fair and transparent system in place.
Indicative Recruitment Timeline
Closing Date: Sunday 20th October 2019
Shortlisting Date: Week commencing Monday 21st October 2019
Interview Date: Monday 28th and Tuesday 29th October 2019
Please note that these dates are only indicative at this stage and could be subject to change.
The closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to making our recruitment practices as inclusive as possible for everyone. We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and developing a culture that values differences, recognising that employees from a variety of backgrounds bring important and positive contributions to the Councils and can improve the way we deliver services. We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Richmond and Wandsworth Councils